It’s not always easy to eat healthy all the time, especially when you’re in a hurry, so it really helps when you plan ahead a little and have a few things made up in advance. This recipe for gluten free, grain free granola is one of those make-ahead items that’s super energizing, tastes great, and contains protein, antioxidants and essential fatty acids. There are two extra and awesome benefits you’re going to get from this recipe: it’s great for your brain and your liver.
1 cup shredded coconut
½ cup chopped sliced almonds
½ cup cashew pieces
2 tablespoons flax seeds
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon milk thistle powder
1 tablespoon cacao nibs
2 – 4 tablespoons maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup, to taste
½ teaspoon Vietnamese cinnamon powder
½ teaspoon ginger powder
1/8 teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan salt
Mix ingredients well. Spread on a shallow pan or cookie sheet, and lightly toast in 325˚ oven for 10 to 20 minutes, or until toasted and crunchy but not brown.
Put the toasted blend into a large bowl and mix in the following ingredients:
1 tablespoon lecithin granules (optional, but great for your brain)
½ cup dried bilberries
½ cup goji berries
Feel free to adjust the proportions of this recipe, and add or substitute ingredients to suit your tastes. Some suggestions for modifying the recipe include:
- Adding turmeric powder
- Include chopped dates
- Substitute the goji berries or bilberries with chopped apricots, raisins, dried apples, dried cranberries, chopped dried mango, or any other dried fruit you enjoy
Enjoy this energizing and healthy recipe with:
- Your favorite milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- As a snack
- Mixed with yogurt and fresh berries
- Spread a tortilla with your favorite nut butter. Sprinkle a layer of the mixture over the nut butter. Cover half the tortilla with thinly sliced apples, fold in half, and enjoy.
- Add it to a smoothie bowl
Let us know what you think! We would love to hear about YOUR favorite breakfast ideas.
Stay happy and healthy,