Post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links
Self-care is so important, as it can protect your health and happiness while alleviating the effects of stress on your body and mind. One way to incorporate a regular self-care practice is to include relaxing herbal teas into your daily routine. Herbs like chamomile, lemon balm, and passionflower can soothe both the body and the mind, and can help improve sleep and mood when used regularly.
Share this on Pinterest
But I get it, not everyone enjoys sipping on a cup of herbal tea. If you’re used to drinking flavored energy beverages or fancy coffees, tea can seem boring, bland, or weak. Whether or not you’re an herbal tea fan, you will get all the benefits of it with this relaxing (and yummy) tea shake recipe that will help you feel serene, peaceful, and calm.
Here are some of the benefits that you get from this shake:
- Bananas contain both tryptophan and potassium, minerals associated with improved sleep quality.
- Pineapple increases natural levels of melatonin, something that declines as people age.
- Almonds contain magnesium, which helps relax the muscles, and regulate sleep.
- Nutmeg is used in India to induce sleep and improve the quality and duration of sleep. Caution: more is not better with nutmeg; just a pinch is enough.
- Tart cherry juice contains both melatonin and magnesium, and have been shown to improve the quality of sleep.
Relaxing herbal teas can have a positive cumulative effect when you enjoy them regularly, and they also come with other positive benefits, such as soothing your stomach, relieving gas and bloating, and promoting better sleep. Here are some of the most popular relaxing herbs:
- Chamomile soothes the stomach while taking stress levels down a few notches
- Lemon balm helps improve mental focus, and lifts the mood if you’re feeling down
- Lemon verbena relieves stress and tension
- Passionflower can calm racing thoughts
- Lavender calms the nervous system and relieves indigestion
My favorite Loose Leaf blends include Daily Calm, which relaxes both the body and the mind, and Lush Lavender, which soothes frayed nerves, and promotes mental clarity. Because Lush Lavender is a gorgeous shade of indigo when brewed, I love it even more!
When you’re ready, let’s go make the shake!
Recipe serves 1
You will need:
1 banana, cut into chunks
1 T almond butter (skip if you can’t do nuts)
1 c pineapple chunks
1/2 cup tart cherry juice
1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
Optional – 1/2 avocado
Add all ingredients to your blender, and blend until smooth.
Feel free to adjust the amounts to suit your personal preference. You can enjoy this relaxing shake cold or warm, depending on your mood and preference. To enjoy it cold, chill your tea before adding, and use frozen bananas and pineapple instead of fresh. You can make the shake thicker by adding more avocado or banana, or thinner with more tea.
*To brew your tea, steep a teaspoon of your tea in a cup of hot water for 5 minutes. Strain out the tea leaves, and use hot or chilled.