*This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links
If you love Nutella, you're going to love this healthy chocolate hazelnut latte. It's vegan and gluten-free and made with only natural, wholesome ingredients. Since I included the full homemade nutella recipe, you can choose to stop there and use it as a healthy frosting alternative or spread on toast for a special holiday breakfast.
But, if you want a delicious chocolate hazelnut latte recipe, keep reading! There's no need for Starbucks when you have a homemade latte that's this delicious and decadent.
How To Make Homemade Healthy Nutella
- 2 cups roasted hazelnuts*
- 1.5 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 0.25 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup oat milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/4 tsp salt
*If the hazelnuts are not already roasted, pop them in the oven on 400F and bake for 6-9 minutes or until they begin to brown. For a better texture, take the skins off. To do this, add them to a kitchen towel and rub your hands together over the towel until the skins come off.
If you want to skip the hassle, use these already roasted and peeled hazelnuts.
How To Make It:
- Add the hazelnuts to a food processor or a super high speed blender (like a Vitamix) and blend until it becomes the texture of a nut butter. This is very important! If you add the rest of the ingredients too early it will be much harder to blend and will come out chunky.
- Once you have a hazelnut nut butter, add the rest of the ingredients and blend them until the mixture is smooth and creamy. This step might take a while but be patient because it's worth it!
- Using a spoon, add your chocolate hazelnut butter to a jar. Scrape all the edges down...can't waste something this delicious! Seal the lid and store in the fridge.
No shame in licking the spoon! Check out this adorable jar to store your homemade nutella spread in. You can either put it right in the fridge or leave it out to make the scrumptious and decadent latte recipe.
Vegan Nutella Oat Milk Latte Recipe
- 1-2 tablespoons of homemade "nutella" (see recipe above)
- 1.5 teaspoons Butter Pecan Oolong* (you can also use Puehr or Earl Grey)
- 0.75 cup water
- 0.75 cup oat milk (or other milk of choice)
- 0.25 teaspoon cocoa powder
*Find a sample size of Butter Pecan Oolong in December's Tea Talk Box
How To Make It:
- First, add your Butter Pecan Oolong tea and water to a small saucepan. Turn the heat to medium-low and let it reach a low simmer for 5 minutes. You want the tea to be darker in this recipe since we will be making it into a latte.
- After 5 minutes, add your oat milk to the saucepan with the tea and let it warm up all together. Give it a nice stir.
- While the milk is warming, use the back of a spoon and apply some nutella to the rim and 1-2 tablespoons to the bottom of your favorite coffee mug*
- Pour the hot milk tea over a handheld strainer, into the mug. Give it a nice stir, allowing the nutella to melt and spread throughout.
- Sprinkle the cocoa powder on top and enjoy!
*I love these clear glass mugs! They're perfect for cute latte recipes like this one.
I hope you enjoyed this better-than-the-original "nutella" recipe. In addition to your latte, this decadent spread can be kept in the fridge and used in holiday baking as the creamy center of a muffin, as a healthy frosting alternative or even spread on toast for a special holiday breakfast.
If you love making fun drink recipes, check out this Tea Brewing Essentials Kit that has all you need to make exciting tea recipes. And follow along with us on Instagram where we show you how to turn our monthly teas into delicious recipes like mocktails and lattes!
Thanks so much for reading! If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also like this healthy and gut-friendly Peppermint Mocha Recipe.