*Photo Credit - Pratiksha Mohanty
The holiday season always means food. Most families love to serve traditional favorites, but there is always someone who introduces a dish that’s unique and different but eventually becomes a new family favorite. Moroccan Vegetable-Chickpea Stew is a version of the popular Moroccan Nomad Stew that we used to serve at our restaurant. This is the home version of the recipe.
What makes this particular dish so unique is the smooth melding of sweet and savory spices and ingredients. Chickpeas and cashews provide plenty of protein, making this dish extremely satisfying for all dietary preferences. The spices in this tasty stew contain antioxidants that help relieve inflammation, and also support liver and digestive health.
Like any recipe, feel free to tweak, adjust, and adapt the ingredients to include your own favorites.
You will need:
- 1 large onion, diced ¼” pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced or processed in a garlic press
- 1 small bell pepper, diced, ¼” pieces
- 1 cup diced zucchini ½” pieces
- 2 carrots, diced ¼” pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 cups cooked garbanzos
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp clove powder
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or more if you prefer it more like a soup than a stew)
- sea salt to taste – at least 1 tsp
- 1 bunch kale, chopped into 1 ½” pieces, big veins removed
- Sauté the onion, garlic, zucchini, carrot, pepper, in olive oil for about 5 minutes
- Add all other ingredients except the kale, and cook together for about 20 minutes, until the flavors are all blended together.
- Add the kale and cook for 5 minutes or until tender but not mushy.
- Serve hot over quinoa, rice, couscous, or simply enjoy in a big bowl.
Let us know what you think!