Is your hair dull, brittle…droopy and lifeless?
Pay attention, because it might be telling you to examine your diet and make some changes. Fasting and restrictive diets can have a damaging effect on your hair. So can stress (the worst!), illness, and eating too much sugar. Of course, there are other reasons why you might have problems with your hair. Stress, hormonal changes (both men and women are affected), menopause or postpartum in women, and thyroid problems, can all lead to hair problems, and may require professional medical care to correct.
Put Your Money Where Your Hair Is (And I Don’t Mean Hair Products)
Investing in a good diet is the best way to invest in your hair. When you eat lots of organic vegetables, fruits, and healthy proteins, your hair will show it. Face it: when you’re in your teens and 20’s, fancy hair products can hide a multitude of sins. After 30, though, it’s all about nutrition. Any gaps in your nutrient intake are going to show up in your hair at some point, so make it a priority to make your calories count and eat food that’s good for you. Hair grows an average of ½ an inch per month, so the effects of your healthy diet might not be visible for 60 to 90 days.
Here are more ways to invest in your hair, with a side benefit of improving your overall health:
- Drink Love My Hair tea. This herbal blend provides deep nourishment to your blood and vital organs like your kidneys and liver. In China, there is a belief that when your blood and organs are properly nourished, you can grow healthy hair. If you suffer from poor nutrition, all available nutrients from your food will go directly to your vital organs, leaving the hair listless, dull, thin, and brittle. If you’re trying to rebuild your hair, drink 2 cups of Love My Hair daily for at least 90 days. This blend also contains herbs that are rich in natural silica, the building block of connective tissue, hair, and nails. Be consistent when you drink this tea and incorporate it into your daily habits, and you will see results in 60 – 90 days. (Pro tip: make a super strong cup of Love My Hair, put it in a spray bottle, and spray it on your hair for a leave-in strengthening tonic.)
- Are you eating a healthy diet but not digesting your food well? If so, you can support your entire digestive process with Golden Bitters tincture. The herbs in the formula help the digestive tract break down proteins and fats, and help you get the most from the nutrients in your diet. Like the title says, Golden Bitters tastes bitter, but that is one of the reasons why it works so well. The bitter flavor alone sends a signal to your brain to switch your digestive organs to ON, so they start secreting enzymes and all that other good stuff. The easiest (and least painful) way to take Golden Bitters: squirt a full dropper of the liquid into a 4 ounce glass of sparkling water (or a shot glass of plain water) and sip (or down it) before lunch and dinner.
- Massage your scalp every day. Doing a scalp massage brings fresh blood flow to the area, nourishing the hair follicles with fresh oxygen and nutrients. Use your fingertips and gently massage your scalp until you feel a slight tingling. Do this every day to bring fresh blood and nutrients to all your little hair follicles and you will make them very happy.
- Once a week, massage your scalp with a blend of Jojoba oil and Rosemary essential oil. Rosemary is antioxidant and rejuvenating. In your palm, blend 1 teaspoon of Jojoba oil with 3 drops of Rosemary oil. Rub your hands together to mix, then massage into the scalp. You can leave this on for a few hours, or overnight for a deeper treatment.
- Another way to support your circulatory system from the inside is to drink An Elephant Never Forgets. This tea contains Rosemary and Ginkgo, which bring fresh blood and oxygen to the scalp, while the other herbs support the heart and blood vessels. It will also get more oxygen to your eyes and brain so you can improve your mental clarity and memory, as well as your hair.
- Chill out. Not many things are worse for your hair than stress. People get used to being stressed out, so that unhealthy stress begins to feel normal. It’s not, and it will suck the life out of more than your hair. If this is you and you’re maxed out from stress, Daily Calm tea or just chill out with some chamomile.
Let us know what you like to use to keep your hair healthy and beautiful!