Post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links
Have you ever wondered, "What drink is good for your immune system?" or "How can I boost my immune system fast?" We hear these questions all the time, especially during the cold and flu season. If you've been searching for the best immunity punch recipe or a homemade immune booster, you're in the right place.
Before we dive in, let's explore some of the amazing healing benefits of the main ingredient in this delicious recipe: elderberries!
Share this on Pinterest
Does Elderberry Really Boost The Immune System?
Ancient civilizations have praised elderberries for their health benefits. The ancient Greeks and Romans offer some of the earliest documented use of elderberries. While the health benefits of elderberries have been known through traditional medicine for centuries, it's also backed by modern science. In the late '80s and early '90s, researchers in Israel undertook a series of studies on the Sambucus nigra plant (black elderberry). Their findings indicated that the berry's extract had significant antiviral properties, especially against influenza viruses. This research reinforced the elderberry's standing in the natural health community as a potent immune booster.
Moreover, their rich berry flavor, which is a blend of tart and sweet, makes them a favorite for many. If you're curious about what elderberries taste like, think of a cross between a blueberry and a blackberry. Interestingly, dried elderberries smell like dark chocolate!
Who Should Drink This Hot Mulled Elderberry Punch?
This punch is suitable for people of all ages, making it a perfect family drink. Here's when you might consider having a cup:
- If you feel the first signs of a cold or flu approaching.
- If people around you are falling ill and you want an immunity shield.
- Simply if you're in the mood for a warm, comforting beverage that's packed with health benefits!
But Does Elderberry Actually Help When You’re Sick?
The answer is yes. Elderberries are even more beneficial in combination with complementary botanicals that enhance the immune-boosting properties of elderberry, while offering other important benefits. Overall, here are some of the benefits you get with this Hot Mulled Elderberry Punch:
- It supports the immune system: The Elderberry Tonic Tea, rich in antioxidants and healing herbs, plays a pivotal role here.
- This recipe provides extra vitamin C, thanks to the fresh orange slices, apples, rosehips, and other botanicals.
- It boosts circulation by featuring warming ginger and cinnamon. Fresh ginger isn’t just for taste; it helps invigorate your circulatory system, which plays a key role in the immune response.
- It warms the body: The combination of all these ingredients ensures you're warmed from the inside out.
Best Elderberry Punch Recipe for Immune Health
- 3 tablespoons Elderberry Tonic tea
- 5 cups water
- 2” piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 organic apple, cored and sliced (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 fresh orange, sliced (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 large sprig of fresh thyme
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish
- In a stainless steel saucepan, combine all of the ingredients.
- Cover and let it simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Strain the punch into your favorite mugs. We like these double wall glass mugs with bamboo lid
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and slices of orange and apple.
- Serve hot, cuddle up with a blanket, and get cozy!
Next time you're pondering over the perfect drink to boost your immune system or just need a comforting cup, try this Hot Mulled Elderberry Punch Recipe. And don't forget, health isn't just about reacting when you're sick; it's also about proactively fortifying your body.
*This information has not been evaluated by the FDA, and is not intended to diagnose or cure a medical issue, or replace professional medical care. If you are pregnant or nursing, are under the care of a physician, or on prescription medication, talk to your health care provider before making any changes to your diet or routine.